The National Knowledge Exam® (NKE) assesses one’s understanding of the CPHR Competency Framework as they relate to academic knowledge. Academic knowledge refers to basic facts, policies, practices, methods, legislation, etc. It is information that can be written into procedures and transferred fairly accurately during the learning process. Examples of academic knowledge include: the rights and responsibilities of management and labour during union organizing and negotiation processes; the various methods of training and developing staff; and human rights, employment equity and pay equity legislation.
More details about NKE content and structure can be found on the CPHR website.
In the Fall of 2019, the National Knowledge Exam (NKE) moved to computer-based testing (CBT). Following suit with other provinces, CPHRNB’s transition from paper to computers will give members security, efficiency and convenience when writing the NKE and aligns the Association with industry best practice.
CPHR Canada has partnered with Yardstick to offer members its exam delivery software, Measure: a user-friendly and intuitive exam delivery platform that is used by a wide variety of certification and licensure bodies in Canada, the United States, and globally.
With Measure, exam writers will have access to numerous tools that will aid them in writing the exam while reducing anxiety. This includes:
- the option to bookmark and revisit questions;
- a “notes” feature for members to write and make reference to throughout the exam;
- a question navigator to easily jump back and forth between questions;
- a time remaining clock with optional reminders at specific intervals (e.g. 5 minutes remaining);
- a language toggle (for French speakers);
- accessibility features such as font size increase/decrease;
- a thumbnail presentation of images with magnification feature;
- a “Submit with unanswered question” check;
- a restrictive copy/paste functionality; and
- question count (e.g. ‘Question 1 of 8’).
Measure provides accessibility for all exam writers and creates efficiencies in answering questions in a completely secured environment.